One of the worst problems faced by homeowners is a wet basement. This might be caused by a storm or even a leaky appliance. A wet basement is not just annoyance; it might turn into a much larger problem, one riddled with mildew, mold, and more.
Causes Behind a Wet Basement
Irrespective of whether your house is old or new, damp or wet basement repair Toronto is a common problem. Nonetheless, the problem tends to be more prevalent in an old house. In case a basement is wet, it might cause the surface water which isn’t draining properly from the foundation wall. This might happen if,
- There aren’t any gutters to take away the rain water or in case the downspouts and gutters are clogged. This will make the rain water to leak into the foundation walls.
- In case there are shrubbery or flower beds around the foundation of the house, it might lead to wet basement repair Toronto. In case of over watering, the soil will be filled with water, the excess water is then going to seep into the ground next to the wall. The water is eventually going to make its way into the basement.
- Rainwater runoff from the walks, lawn, and driveway area. This water might run into the basement if the landscape forces it this to drain towards the home.
- In case your house is built at the basement of the hill, you will have greater opportunity for runoff water ant become underground and then flow downhill towards the home. While the foundation of the home walls is going to intercept and then trap the water, it might build up pressure and force water out of the joints and cracks around the basement walls.
- Inadequately installed, clogged drains or leaky drains might lead to wet basement repair Toronto.
When the basement is wet, it might lead to mildew and mold all throughout. Mildew and mold are actually health hazards and in case it is not cleaned, the whole house might have to be treated professionally. This is going to cost thousands of dollars. Moreover, while the professionals remove the mildew and mold, the home cannot be lived in.
In fact, a wet basement repair Toronto might ruin the wall material and flooring of the house. Water damage is capable of rotting the interior walls, drywall, and studs. Thus, it might lead to countless dollars of damage when it is left untreated for a long period of time. In certain cases, the wet basement might turn out to be a structural liability in case the water has done some excessive damage to the primary structural framing of the building. A wet basement might cause some damage to the valuable and also personal items which are stored indoors.
Why is Important to Waterproof Your Basement?
Basement waterproofing is considered to be a significant part of the homebuilding process and it is an important aspect of the foundation of the house. Over time, the foundation can be damaged from roots, excessive temperature fluctuations, and shifting of the ground itself. At this point, water will get into the basement and start causing further damage to the foundation and damage the interior of the basement. Waterproofing prevents water from entering the wet basement repair Toronto.